Thread: Social Media Buttons Stopped Showing Share Numbers

ultravista is offline Utente AlterBlog

Default Social Media Buttons Stopped Showing Share Numbers

The social media buttons at the bottom of my posts don't show the share numbers anymore; they're just social media buttons.

I didn't change any settings; the only thing that I've recently been doing was updating WP, translations, and plugins. Is one of these the culprit?

The Counter box has always been checked. Still, I've just tried unchecking & saving and again checking & saving, but the social media buttons are still without numbers.

karl94 is offline AlterVista Staff

That feature has been removed because Facebook doesn't provide anymore the data. You can however use the original style if you want the counters.

I think you mean setting the type as Official. Because, this is the only option to show the numbers. And when the type is Official, the Style drop down is inactive.

Anyway, I selected Official and now the buttons show the share numbers. But now there's no guarantee if some buttons (namely Facebook, Twitter and sometimes g+) show at all. I don't mean it's a global situation. It may be because of the heavy filtering here (FB and Twitter are blocked here). Because when I tunnel with another browser, they all show. It seems that the Official setting can't work well with the filtering here. With the past settings when FB hadn't stopped supporting, the buttons from filtered sites (FB & Twitter) didn't show the numbers without filter bypass, but at least the buttons themselves showed.

It's a shame Facebook failed considering so many WP bloggers. The "Icon & Text" Type with the "Original" Style was both sleek and stylish. Now I have to sit and think which mandatory option should I choose; "all buttons with no numbers" or "just a few numbered buttons with a few other numbered ones missing". What an absurd dilemma.
    Last edited by ultravista; 07-27-2016 at 11:25 AM.

I've resorted to buttons with no numbers. That way, the visitors have all the sharing possibilities at hand. But they and the blogger (me) will not know how many times the article has been shared. I have to come up with an idea to get the numbers via a personally-devised method so that I would know how well I'm doing creating content.

I've finally worked around the "counter" issue via installing a plugin, and through the search process I also got to come across a solution to one of my old SN problems with the Telegram button. Two birds! Now I've got 3 instances of social buttons, each dedicated to a purpose, but it's worth it anyway.