Thread: Public Site Served on the Web is NOT being updated from the FTP Site.

Hantsbridge is offline Junior Member

Angry Public Site Served on the Web is NOT being updated from the FTP Site.

Some of our users have complained to me of this before but it is the first time I have seen it for myself......

The Public site (http://www.hantsbridge.altervista.or...c-results.html accessible publicly when people visit us on the Web) is not being updated from the FTP Site. I have been FTPing material to the FTP site over the last 12 hours. I can see it is OK on the FTP site. I can open it OK from the FTP site - None of it is being updated on the public site.

I have deleted my browser cache. I have tried using other browsers that I wouldn't normally use. All same results; displaying old out-of-date material not the updated matereial.

I have tried using the Altervisa editor to change the page links and even this is not being picked up.

I have used "Refresh Site" several times still with no effect.

What is happening here please????

karl94 is offline AlterVista Staff

Please provide the URL of a page you updated but you don't see updated. Also describe what you changed in that page, and provide a screenshot of what you do see instead.

See the public served page for http://www.hantsbridge.altervista.or...=1511781406429

Click on the hyperlink for the Table entry "Nov 24".

1). I used the ALTERPAGES editor to change the hyperlink on "Nov 24" in the table to go to ........
    <a href="http://www.newebc.altervista.org/results/Nov24.htm"> (If you enter Alterpages editor you will see it is saved as this OK).
    But if you then come out of ALTERPAGES and click on it on the public site it goes instead to the old setting of.......
    http://www.hantsbridge.altervista.or...eigh/Nov24.htm

2). I updated a new version of the file "Nov24.htm" into the "Eastleigh" subdirectory on the site. It is there OK on the FTP site - I can see it and click it to open it OK on the FtP server - but NOT being picked up by that table link in (1) above on the publicly served site. (To be sure I FTP'd a copy of it as Nov24a.htm .... that is when I found ALTERPAGES won't change the public pages.

karl94 is offline AlterVista Staff

Did you manually upload the file eastleigh-bc-results.html via FTP? You shouldn't touch the files generated by AlterPages.
    Try to edit that page with AlterPages and save again the widget with the code.
    However, why do you use AlterPages mixed with manually created HTML pages?

NO.

I ONLY manage the eastleigh-bc-results.html page with ALTERPAGES. It has NOT been manually changed. It has NOT been manually uploaded.

If you open it under ALTERPAGES you will see the hyperlink on the "Nov 24" Tag is not the same hyperlink being served on the public site. Try changing it yourself and see. (As I explain in (1) Above. ALTERPAGES is showing it OK - I can change things on ALTERPAGES and save them OK - but the Public site appears to be serving a cached version from somewhere else (or off a server that isn't picking up the updates).

I FTP pages onto the site to be displayed by the hyperlinks from eastleigh-bc-results.html (They are results pages generated by another program that our members need to see). The FTP'd pages eg. Nov24.htm or Nov24a.htm are not being picked up on the public site. The Public site still serves the versions that wer FTP'd on Friday although I have updated these several times since.

Hi Karl....can you see the problem ? Any thoughts?

OK.... Problem now resolved.
    I discovered that FTP via the Browser control panel (as opposed to Windows FTP) was working correctly.
    So I logged out of Windows FTP and started a new Windows FTP session. All OK.

It appears that AlterVista is able to internally "loose" connection to its own FTP Server if the FTP session is maintained for a prolonged period.

Issue Closed.