Thread: FTP server access

galatiturism is offline Utente AlterBlog

Exclamation FTP server access

Hello! I would like to know how to access my ftp server.

If I try ftp.galatiturism.altervista.org, upon username and password request, I get this error:
    "530 Authentication failed. Your nickname must be lower case and your host yournickname.altervista.org , go to http://www.altervista.org to recover your password. Remember that AlterBlog, AlterForum and AlterGallery don't have FTP access."
    I used the same username and password as for my wordpress site login.

Do I need another username or password? If so, how can I get them?

AND, is it normal for when I log in to Control Panel to be redirected directly to my WP site (galatiturism.altervista.org/wp-admin/)?

Please help.

Thank you!

karl94 is offline AlterVista Staff

Quote Originally Posted by galatiturism View Post
    Remember that AlterBlog, AlterForum and AlterGallery don't have FTP access.
    You have an AlterBlog account, so you can't use FTP and the AlterSite control panel. You can however convert your AlterBlog to an AlterSite, you'll find the option under the Settings menu of your WordPress admin panel.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by karl94 View Post
    You have an AlterBlog account, so you can't use FTP and the AlterSite control panel. You can however convert your AlterBlog to an AlterSite, you'll find the option under the Settings menu of your WordPress admin panel.
    You're right, didn't noticed that.

How can I convert from AlterBlog to AlterSite?
    I've tried in the first place to make an AlterSite and, from 3 attempts I've got only 1 email response telling me that the service was temporarily unavailable (for 3 days in a row). So that's why I tried AlterBlog and finally succeeded to do something on Altervista. Didn't work to transfer with registration site either.

How can I convert from AlterBlog to AlterSite?
    Log in to your WordPress admin panel, in the Settings menu you should be able to find the Convert to AlterSite option. Go there and read carefully the instructions.
    Didn't work to transfer with registration site either.
    What do you mean? Could you please explain further?

Arrow

Log in to your WordPress admin panel, in the Settings menu you should be able to find the Convert to AlterSite option. Go there and read carefully the instructions.
    Didn't find such an option. As I said before, logging in to Control Panel takes me directly to my site's wp-admin.

What do you mean? Could you please explain further?
    There was 1 time when I tried to make a Free Site or Free Blog, don't remember, but I see at a moment in creating accont, on the right, an Import your Website or something like that. Ofcourse, upon clicking the link would send you to the usual registration form.

Even now there is an Import your Blog on Free Blog page.

Didn't find such an option. As I said before, logging in to Control Panel takes me directly to my site's wp-admin.
    That's right. In that page there's the Settings menu, and under that there should be the Convert to AlterSite option. If you can't see the Settings menu you have to click on Show advanced.

Thumbs up

Thanks for the help.
    I have managed to swich my blog to AlterSite and now I have access to ftp server.

This topic should be closed.
    Last edited by galatiturism; 02-13-2015 at 02:52 PM.