Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: htaccess visibility via FTP

Default htaccess visibility via FTP

Hi

I uploaded an htaccess file onto my domain hhrumixservice.altervista.org and it became visible through the account control panel File management tool, however it's not listed amongst the files in FTP view, is it normal and what should be done to fix that if it isn't?

Thank you

saitfainder is offline AlterVista Staff

The htaccess file is normally displayed by FTP clients. What client are you using?
    "Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind."

I use either Windows Commander or Total Commander

Now I encounter another problem. All my WordPress pages besides the main page stopped loading with this message displayed

alterVista
    Index page missing

The directory /producer-vocal-direction/ does not contain an index file.

You have to create a page called index.html, index.htm or index.php (lower case).

Warning: if you have just activated your site you might have to wait up to 24 hours before it is visible.
    For example at http://hhrumixservice.altervista.org...cal-direction/

But this is standard WP page permalink syntax which worked earlier today

I deleted the htaccess file which was on the domain, but this didn't fix the issue, not sure whether the file could somehow cause it

UPDATE: the problem ceased by itself

What could that be?
    Last edited by hhrumixservice; 04-26-2012 at 07:10 PM.

I gave a try to Total Commander and I displayed the .htaccess file as expected, so I don't now why it isn't your case.

Wordpress uses his own .htaccess file to rewrite the permalinks. If you delete or modify it then it's not a surprise that you experience some strange behaviors.

thank you saitfainder for the feedback

so for some reason the htaccess file isn't seen on my end by the FTP client and so it didn't warn me about the risk of overwriting the file which was already there, as a result i overwrote WP native htaccess file

i attached a screenshot of my WC window

and that happens with two different instances of the FTP client on two different machines with different ISPs

Maybe the problem is related to the old version of Total Commander that you're using. I made my try with 7.57a, but in your screenshot i see 5.0.

it's old indeed however on any other server i'm able to see htaccess files, i can attach a screenshot of that

do you have any ideas why this is different with altervista? the only difference is that those other servers are not free hosting

Gianluca is offline Administrator

.htaccess visibility on totalcommander 5.0 is not a paid feature

I suggest to upgrade your client (or use an alternative client) or manage it using the web file manager.

thank you for the explanation Gianluca, but i'm afraid that's not the case

here's another example this time from TC 7 and Core FTP

on Altervista the htaccess file isn't visible regardless of an FTP client is, but on another server it is.
    Last edited by hhrumixservice; 05-05-2012 at 09:23 AM.

Gianluca is offline Administrator

hhrumixservice:

If you connect from your ftp commandline client provided by windows and issue ls -a
    you will see the hidden files (the ones starting with a dot), if your client doesn't send that flag you will see nothing.
    This is not due to a server misconfiguration, it's rather a client behaviour, some servers may ignore the -a flag and consider it as always set, but this is not the case.

Please refer to this discussion: http://discussion.dreamhost.com/thread-32614.html (dreamhost is a paid hosting btw)
    Also: http://www.softwaretipspalace.com/ho...ftp-files.html

You should be able to let your client send the -a flag, if not you should use another client like filezilla as suggested in that forum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast