Thread: Domain purchased, how do I use it!?

Default Domain purchased, how do I use it!?

I made www.wearegoth.altervista.org some time ago, and I recently decided it's time to upgrade and give it its own domain.

I bought wearegoth.com with Altervista by purchasing the 5euro package to reserve the name till I was sure, then finally upgraded to the 9euro package. Every time I try to access the URL from a web browser it redirects me to the free site.
    Did I basically just pay extra for domain parking? How do I use the regular dot com domain as my own?

If I access it from it's resolved IP, it tells me it's been successfully set up, but the actual URL redirects.

What is going on here?!
    Please help me!

karl94 is offline AlterVista Staff

You bought a second level domain with redirect service, as it's clearly described at the time of purchase. AlterVista doesn't currently allow to modify the virtual host associated with the webspace.

techphil is offline Utente AlterBlog

what does it mean?
    when we bought a new domain, it will just be redirected to example.altervista.org?

Exactly. You can however activate the cloak option, hiding the real address behind an HTML frame.

techphil is offline Utente AlterBlog

Karl94,

altervista has a rule on advertisement and it should only be altervista banner or altervista with google, on its hosted blogs, the example.altervista.org blogs
    but would it affect the domain that we had bought in altervista?
    as far as I am concern we can link the blogger blog to the domain that we bought here in altervista in CNAME DNS,and since it is hosted by blogger, would using our domain for blogger with different advertisement other than altervista could lead to account suspension?

That rule is only about the web space: you cant use different advertisements on the web space provided by AlterVista.
    You can use the domain you bought with Blogger, and you can place any advertisement you want (provided Blogger allows it).