Thread: Uploaded files do not retain their source date/time

etmg is offline Junior Member

Default Uploaded files do not retain their source date/time

Hi

My name is Alex Kemp & I've very recently uploaded some files to etmg.altervista.org (yes, a newbie here - the pages are not yet promoted to search engines.). No problems with login nor anything else except...

After upload, the files on altervista.org have the uploaded date, rather than the source-date. That is not usual for FTP. I'm well-used to ftp, and there were zero errors reported. I was planning to make use of the modification-date, so I'm now a bit stumped. Is my experience normal, or perhaps there is some config item not yet mentioned that needs activating?

System: Debian 8.2 Jessie
    FTP apps: ftp + wput (command-line).

[If this is in the wrong area, or some other thing please let me know]

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by etmg; 12-26-2015 at 03:43 AM. Reason: small mod to title

karl94 is offline AlterVista Staff

The AlterVista FTP server supports the SITE UTIME command, which allows to set the modification time for a file. Did the client you used try to send that command? Could you please post a log of the FTP session?

Many thanks for your reply, karl94. Most useful.

Unfortunately, no logs.

wput was first-time use for me; it did the job in as much as the files are up on the server. However, it is missing some crucial features. Most of Debian help is directed towards setting up an ftp server. I'm currently trying to find a helpful daemon.

I'll post back with assistance/requests for further help.

Thanks again.

I've tried bareFTP 0.3.9. An extremely useful utility that works under Gnome. Instantly usable without need to consult documentation. Love it. Naturally, it's no longer being developed (nor does it update file meta information).

bareFTP reported the following info on Server connection:-

FEAT
    211 Extensions supported:
    EPRT
    IDLE
    MDTM
    SIZE
    MFMT
    REST STREAM
    MLST type*;size*;sizd*;modify*;UNIX.mode*;UNIX.uid*;UNI X.gid*;unique*;
    MLSD
    AUTH TLS
    PBSZ
    PROT
    TVFS
    ESTA
    PASV
    EPSV
    SPSV
    ESTP
    End.
    'MDTM' is introduced in RFC3659 whilst 'MFMT' was suggested in draft-somers-ftp-mfxx-04. Between the 2 of them it should be possible to do what I want, and also make use of RESUME (continue uplifting/downloading when the connection gets broken). That is all standard fare for FTP. As long as both server & client implement it. I'm yet to find a client that can.

Finally managed to complete this with FileZilla 3.9.0.5 (under Debian 8.2 Jessie) (it uses 'MFMT'). I tried KFTPGrabber before that, but could not find the way to initiate a transfer (I began with programming in the 1970s & with computers in the 1980s).

Thanks for your response. If you will now introduce rsync (secure up/downlink) access I would be in file heaven. Further assistance in how to use the TLS facility for secure password exchange would also help (I have not yet come across that in FileZilla)..
    Last edited by etmg; 12-27-2015 at 09:27 PM. Reason: added MFMT info

karl94 is offline AlterVista Staff

Yeah, I forgot about the MFMT command, that works too.
    rsyinc isn't planned to be introduced, however if you setup your client in order to use the AUTH TLS command, everything will travel through a TLS encrypted tunnel, not only the credentials.
    On FileZilla (and other clients) it's called explicit TLS (since the client has to explicitly ask for it), you should be able to enable it in the connection settings.