Thread: FTP stopped working, timed out

ninjatest3 is offline Junior Member

Thumbs down FTP stopped working, timed out

Hi, the server picked literally the absolute worst ever timing to stop responding as I was moving things from my development site to the production one...

Code:
    Status:	Connection attempt failed with "ETIMEDOUT - Connection attempt timed out".
    Error:	Could not connect to server
    Server 329, site ninjatest3. It was working fine and then at some point it started disconnecting (optic fibre perfectly stable with another server, not my end), and now it won't connect AT ALL just when it was the only one time I absolutely needed it.

Control panel works fine, but good luck downloading anything off that.
    Site itself works fine as well.

Before you ask, yes I have tried multiple clients such as Filezilla and WinSCP, and it's not about firewall/AV either since it was working just fine until it crashed on me and never resumed. I don't really have them either.
    Region lock is disabled.
    Timeout time was set to a minute client-side, I put it higher, or lower, nothing.

I even thought I might have been temporarily IP-banned for the disconnections that occurred before the full failure, so I restarted the router to get a new dynamic one. You guessed it, didn't work.

Can you help and kick the server really hard for me please?

Thanks in advance *sigh*

EDIT: now I even tried with multiple devices entirely, it's 100% on your end, other accounts work fine as well.
    EDIT 2: it is of EXTREME importance that the files are NOT lost during the fix, since they basically are the work itself and I was backing them up for transferring.

EDIT 3: many hours later, it's still not working, disconnecting me telling me too many connections even when I set it to 1 (and it takes years on 1, but still would be something).

EDIT 4 (about 10h later): the situation improved massively by using the "Send keep-alive FTP commands" setting, which also says to contact the server administrator if it's needed.
    Last edited by ninjatest3; 05-14-2020 at 12:21 PM.

alemoppo is offline AlterVista Staff

Quote Originally Posted by ninjatest3 View Post
    Before you ask, yes I have tried multiple clients such as Filezilla and WinSCP, and it's not about firewall/AV either since it was working just fine until it crashed on me and never resumed.
    Usually Filezilla works fine. Depending by the ISP, some times it's required to disable the "Only Use Plain FTP" from the Encryption setting.

Quote Originally Posted by ninjatest3 View Post
    EDIT 4 (about 10h later): the situation improved massively by using the "Send keep-alive FTP commands" setting.
    Has the problem been solved?

Bye!

Quote Originally Posted by alemoppo View Post
    Has the problem been solved?
    No, merely bypassed with the keep-alive. The server doesn't work properly.

Has this been looked into? Haven't tried again since I bypassed it, but still. Other accounts on different servers work fine.

alemoppo is offline AlterVista Staff

Hello, can you please provide the username of the accounts where the FTP works fine?

Thank you.

Bye!