Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wordfence plugin can not register

msp
    msp is offline AlterBlog User

Default Wordfence plugin can not register

Hi,

I installed the Wordfence plugin on our WordPress blog. However Wordfence could not register with the Wordfence scanning servers when it activated. Wordfence suggests that this could be caused by restrictions put in place by the ISP.

Question 1: Do you block Wordfence?
    Question 2: If so, is it possible for you to allow connections to noc1.wordfence.com?

Thanx
    Gert

alemoppo is offline AlterVista Staff

I suggest you don't use wordfence.
    The blog is already secure, you just have to use a strong password and always make updates.

You can still enable server to server connections from "settings".

Bye!

msp

Hi,

I am not sure what you mean by "You can still enable server to server connections from "settings"". It seems that the server to server setting gives the possibility to whitelist traffic. I would be more then happy to do so myself, but that does not seem to be possible. I can make a choice between:

Accesso esterno limitato ai domini in whitelist and
    Collegamento esterno senza restrizioni

and then save or reset that choice. I do not see any options where I can add a server to whitelist.

Could you please help me out?

Thanx
    Gert

By activating the server to server connection, you will not have to add anything to the whitelist.

"Collegamento esterno senza restrizioni" it means you don't have the whitelist restriction.

Bye!

msp

Hi,

I do not know what you mean by "activating the server to server connection".

At the moment I do have a server to server entry in my WP sidebar menu. It is set to "Collegamento esterno senza restrizioni" which seems to be the default. With that setting the access to noc1.wordfence.com seems to be blocked.

Call me stupid but restricting all access to the whitelisted sites only (Accesso esterno limitato ai domini in whitelist) seems to be a bad idea.

I do not see any other options on that server to server screen.

It seems I am missing something very obvious here. Can you please help me out?

Thanx,
    Gert

Quote Originally Posted by msp View Post
    At the moment I do have a server to server entry in my WP sidebar menu. It is set to "Collegamento esterno senza restrizioni" which seems to be the default.
    No, this setting is not default: you probably activated it in the past.
    With this setting, you will be able to access all the sites from ports 80 and 443. If the problem persists, I recommend you to contact wordfence support.

restricting all access to the whitelisted sites only (Accesso esterno limitato ai domini in whitelist) seems to be a bad idea.
    Yes, that's not what you're looking for.

Bye!

msp

Hi,

I opened this thread by writing that I already contacted Wordfence and that they suggested that the problem might be caused by the restrictions imposed by my ISP (AlterVista). From your answers I conclude that that is indeed the case.

Since you (AlterVista) are blocking the traffic from Wordfence the solution has to be found on your side. Contacting Wordfence again sends me on a merry goose chase that will end up at your doorstep, again. Wordfence can not solve your enthusiastic firewall settings, only you can.

I have been asking you kindly if you could alter your firewall settings in such a way that a globally trusted plugin like Wordfence can be used. From your answers I deduce that, with no apparent reason, you are not willing to do so.

Is this based on a AlterVista policy that is used for all AlterVista platforms or is this just a restriction that you impose on Pianetadonna blogs?

Gert

Pianetadonna uses the same structure as the AlterVista blogs.

As already mentioned, that plugin is not recommended and could damage your blog: just use a strong password and always make updates. Why do you want to use that plugin?

p.s: I see that you have an Italian blog, why not ask on the Italian forum?

Bye!

msp

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by alemoppo View Post
    I see that you have an Italian blog, why not ask on the Italian forum?
    I am familiar with a few different languages. To my regret Italian is not one of them. So you can imagine how happy I am with AlterVista offering support in the English language.

But if you think the support on the Italian forum is better I think I could work something out.

Quote Originally Posted by alemoppo View Post
    Pianetadonna uses the same structure as the AlterVista blogs.
    I am a bit confused by this. We do also have a blog on the Giallozafferano platform. On that platform I do not have any issues with registering Wordfence. So, how can it be that, with the same structure, I can use Wordfence on the Giallozafferano platform with no problem while, with the same structure, I can not use it on the Pianetadonna platform?

Gert
    Last edited by msp; 04-27-2019 at 11:53 AM.

So, how can it be that, with the same structure, I can use Wordfence on the Giallozafferano platform with no problem while, with the same structure, I can not use it on the Pianetadonna platform?
    Probably there is some incompatibility with some plugins: do you have any plugins in particular on pianetadonna not present on giallozafferano?

Bye!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast