Thread: Can I put development mode on?

wyngrove is offline Utente Blog

Question Can I put development mode on?

Is there any other way to see the CSS updates on webpage, than clear browser cache? I found some older posts a few years back from this forum that suggested to put development mode on from CloudFlare page, but is that still possible? I cannot find setting for that.

alemoppo is offline AlterVista Staff

Hello!

As you correctly mentioned, the problem is about the cache.

The cache is a "temporary" memory used to speed up operations. This type of memory can exist on both the server side and the client side (browser). CloudFlare creates server-side cache, which is different from the browser cache; they are separate entities.

Since CloudFlare can no longer be enabled on AlterVista, if your issue is with the browser cache, you need to force your browser to reload the CSS somehow. I assume this problem occurs during the development of your site because you want to see the changes to the page as you load new versions of the CSS code. To solve (or mitigate) this problem, there are several approaches:

• In most common browsers, pressing F12 opens the developer console, where you can find an option to disable the cache. This feature is very useful for seeing real-time changes. I recommend exploring how to use the browser's developer tools.

• The most extreme way to force all visitors to reload the page (not recommended!) is to generate a random GET parameter, for example using PHP, to make the browser think it’s a different file each time. For example:

PHP Code:
      <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="tyylitiedosto.css?r=<?php echo time(); ?>" title="tyylit" media="screen" />

Bye!
    Last edited by alemoppo; 07-21-2024 at 04:23 PM.

wyngrove is offline Utente Blog

Hello,

Thank you for explaining it to me. I found a button for disabling the cache from developer console so now it's much easier, thank you!