Hi, I just have my altervista site working now. I am using ftp transfer successfully to transfer files to and from the site. I am attempting to set up a very simple automated weather display page where periodically I will overwrite a file called, for example, "thisWeekMet.gif". thisWeekMet.gif is referenced by index.html so the a new graphic is displayed whenever I overwrite the file with new content but with the same file name. The overwriting is having problems though. Here is a test that I performed which illustrates a very strange issue that I think is related to my problem (using WinSCP as the ftp client):
- I upload a gif file to ftp.dnwsite.altervista.org
- I see the file from within file management tools in altervista.org and open it up from altervista.org to view and it is correct
- I delete the file either remotely using WinSCP or locally using the file management tools in altervista (I have done both to experiment)
- I confirm in altervista that the file is deleted (it does not appear in the file list of "/")
- I upload a different version of "thisWeekMet.gif". Same name but different content.
- I confirm in WinSCP that the remote directory (ftp.dnwwite.altervista.org) contains the correct version of the file by opening it and viewing from within WinSCP.
- I view that same file from within the file management tools of altervista and *it is the old version of the file*! I see the file that I deleted and not the new file!?
This is very strange and I really have no idea what could be going on. But I need to be able to overwrite the same named file in order for my little display tool to operate correctly. I think the problem I outline above must be a related issue that, if solved, could permit me to overwrite files. Any ideas on what to try?